- Ambience : 6 / 10
- Food : 8 / 10
- Value for money : 7 / 10
- Service : 8 / 10
- Location : 7 / 10
- Hygiene : 7 / 10
- Overall : 7 / 10
Fish is undoubtedly one of the most loved staple food of Coastal Karnataka.
Off lately Mangalore has seen a steady rise in the number of Fish joints. Earlier it was just Narayana’s and Giri Manja’s. Then came Machali followed by Meenu oota da Mane etc. The latest kid on the block is Bappamas (Grandmother’s in Konkani). They promise of an authentic GSB style fish bonanza. The 3 Hungry Men had to put them to the test.
Located behind Hotel Ocean Pearl and just before Machali, the board can’t be missed here. Parking for 4 wheelers is definitely a problem.
Heading inside, we were welcomed by the warmth of a house. Bappamas is situated in an old house with several rooms.
There were a lot of items to try but the following 5 items stood out.
- Pomfret Masala Fry : A huge white Pomfret marinated and pan fried. This fish was heavenly. Just the sight of it made us salivate.
- Anjal Rava Fry : For those who love deep fried fish, you will find love. Seer fish coated with rava and deep fried. This is one of their signature dish.
- Chicken Ghee Roast : Chicken Cubes tossed in their own home made Ghee Roast Masala was a treat. Do try this in squid too. Tastes fantastic.
- Hinga Udda : A typical GSB preparation with copious amounts of Asofoetida. This is one master piece. Best eaten with Rice. Best if tried in Prawns, can be made with other fish too.
- Phanna Upkari : Perfectly made with the right amount of Tamarind, this dish has the perfect tanginess to it. Again is best eaten with rice or neer dosa. We recommend you try this curry made with Silver Fish. It’s available with other fish too.
Apart from the above 5 dishes. They have various other fish like Bangude (mackarel), Kane (lady fish), Biryani etc. Vegetarians have limited options but the Paneer Ghee Roast is quite a hit, their mushroom preparations are also worth mention.
Working Hours of Bappamas
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM in the day
7:00 PM to 10:30 PM at nights, but stuff runs out quickly so get there early.
They are also open on Sunday’s and also note that Monday Evenings are usually closed.
They also have Home Delivery Service Call the number below to order.
On the whole we loved Bappamas as this a new taste in the Fish competition. Do try it out and let us know what you feel.
Stay Hungry Stay Happy!
Location : Bappamas, Behind City Point Building, Kodialbail, Mangalore
For Home Delivery Call : +91 9886796747 | +91 9740437966 | +91 9845823784